At the Xbox Games Showcase pre-show, Square Enix announced that Dragon Quest XI S Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition will be released on PlayStation 4, Xbox One as an Xbox Play Anywhere title, and PC via Steam and the Microsoft Store on December 4 worldwide. The game will also be available via Xbox Game Pass.
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age first launched for PlayStation 4 and 3DS in July 2017 in Japan, and for PlayStation 4 and PC in September 2018 worldwide. Dragon Quest XI S Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition, an enhanced version of the original game with numerous new elements, launched for Switch in September 2019.
Here is an overview of Dragon Quest XI S Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition, via Square Enix and Steam:
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition promises to be an enthralling and unmissable adventure for RPG fans. The perfect first step into the world of Dragon Quest for the uninitiated, players will follow the perilous journey of the Luminary, a hunted hero who must uncover the mystery of his fate with the aid of a charismatic cast of supporting characters. Embarking on a quest taking them across continents and over vast oceans, they will learn of an ominous threat facing the world. Packed with over 100 hours of content from the critically acclaimed 2017 release of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, this definitive version also brings with it an array of upgrades and enhancements including:
- New Character Side Stories – Get to know your fascinating cast of companions more than ever with individual side stories and adventures
- Retro 2D Mode – In addition to stunning 3D, you can also choose to play in 2D with retro inspired graphics of classic 16-bit RPGs
- 16-bit World of Tickington – Journey to past Dragon Quest worlds full of additional side-quests reimagined in the retro style
- Japanese Audio – Choice to play the entire game with all-new Japanese voice-over or the original English
- Fully Orchestrated Soundtrack – Ability to switch between the symphonic soundtrack or the original synthesized soundtrack as you travel the world of Erdrea
- Photo Mode – Immortalize your adventure with the perfect image. Rearrange characters, set different poses, change angles, etc. are just some of the features available in Photo Mode
Dragon Quest XI S is the last entry in the legendary RPG series from creator Yuji Horii, character designer Akira Toriyama and composer Koichi Sugiyama. This eleventh main entry is a completely standalone experience that features new characters, a beautifully detailed world, finely tuned turn-based combat, and an immersive story that will appeal to longtime fans and franchise newcomers alike. After its release in Japan, Dragon Quest XI won multiple gaming awards and received critical praise, including PlayStation’s Platinum Prize and a perfect 40/40 score from Famitsu (an influential video game publication in Japan).
A young man, about to participate in his village’s coming of age ceremony, travels to a sacred stone alongside his childhood friend. After a series of unexpected events, this intrepid adventurer learns he is the reincarnation of a legendary hero from a forgotten age.
The young hero sets forth into an unknown world on a journey to unravel the mystery of his past… but the welcome he receives is far from warm. Upon revealing his identity to the King, the hero is branded as “The Darkspawn” and hunted by a relentless army.
Fleeing from his pursuers, the hero assembles a band of endearing adventurers who believe he is actually The Luminary reborn. The Luminary and his newfound companions embark on a quest that will take them across continents and over vast oceans as they learn of an ominous threat facing the world.
- Unravel an Epic Mystery in a Riveting Tale – You are the Luminary, the reincarnation of a hero from a forgotten age. Denigrated as a demon and pursued by a malicious monarch, you must embark on a quest to uncover the mystery of your fate and save a doomed world. Be prepared for an immersive story with twists and turns that pull you in and keep you craving more.
- Assemble a Colorful Cast of Loyal Companions – Accompanying you is an endearing band of adventurers with their own rich backstories and personalities. Famed manga artist Akira Toriyama brings the characters of Dragon Quest to life with his one-of-a-kind style.
- Explore a Massive, Beautiful, Living World – Excitement lurks around every corner, observe NPCs attend to their daily schedules, monsters change behaviors to fit their environments, and access new areas, by foot, on horseback or with the use of monstrous vehicles.
- Engage in Classic Turn-based Battles with a Modern Twist – Dragon Quest XI features mechanics simple enough for beginners, but with enough depth to satisfy hardcore fans. As your adventure continues, learn incredible new abilities to take down even the most fearsome foe with your powerful allies.
- Have Some Fun & Save the World – Tons of side-quests and addicting mini-games awaits you for enough content to keep you playing for well over 100 hours. You will face insurmountable odds and an evil force of unimaginable power… but while the stakes are high, there are many fun distractions to find if you know where to look.
- Challenge Yourself with the Draconian Quest – Available when you start a new game, these options allow you to craft you own customized difficulty with different settings and provide a greater challenge.